Tuesday 20 February 2007

Psalm 23 - God provides a way


The theme of my life at the moment has been to trust God in all that I do, there are many uncertainties in my life and a lot of things that seem to be impossible. There is potential to get stressed and upset about things that are beyond my control or beyond my understanding. I was talking last night with a close friend about miracles that have happened in each other’s lives and situations that have from a worldly sense seemed to be impossible.

I thought about that quite a lot last night, and as I got into bed, I read the following.




Psalm 23.

1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures,
he leads me beside quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul.
He guides me in paths of righteousness,
for his name's sake.
4 Even though I walk
through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil,
for you are with me;
your rod and your staff,
they comfort me.

It is obviously one of the most famous Psalms that are in the bible, and there is no coincidence with that and this passage bringing peace to Christians across the globe.

As I spoke about yesterday with Jesus calming the storms in our lives and in our situations, this passage is also speaking to us about peace and about restoring our faith and confidence in God’s providence and God’s gifts to us.

It teaches that if we trust in Christ and trust in his unfailing faithfulness with our lives we will not want for anything but be lead by him to the places in the world where he wants us to be and where he can provide for us adequately. It talks of Christ leading us along path’s of righteousness, although these paths may lead us through bad times and bad places, (Valley of the shadow of death) we have no need to fear as long as we are following his path.

There is something extremely special for Christians to remember and only really as a Christian will you feel this, when God provides for you, you can see his hand in your life and see him providing for you the correct path.

With our situation, it seems like we’re staring up a mountain but the more I pray about it, the more I can see the path that is on the mountain winding up to the top where God wants us to be. It suddenly doesn’t become a question of how to climb the mountain, but where do I need to start to start the climb.

A wonderful analogy of this is when Moses had lead God’s people out of Egypt and was faced with a wide and unswimable sea. Moses doesn’t give up and actually parts the sea to get across. That is a wonderful act of faith that we should all aspire to, if he can part seas and calm storms, suddenly our problems seem less like mountains, but flat roads with God’s help.

Continue to pray for Nell and I as we embark on our journey to get to where we need to be. Pray that this is God’s will, and if it isn’t, this will be made apparent to us.

I pray that the mountains in your life are changed to flat roads with God’s help and his Grace and mercy be upon you all.

In Christ.

Mikey.

No comments: