Monday 19 February 2007

Matthew 8 v 24-26 - Storm? What Storm?


I don’t like storms because one of the scariest attributes about being in a storm is the feeling of not being in control and having to submit to the elements whilst you try and keep yourself safe. I don’t know about you but I respect the awesome power of nature, and when I’m in the middle of a storm, I am afraid to go outside and tend to shut myself in and close the elements outside.

This is no different when we look at our lives and as Christians feel that we are in the middle of a spiritual storm. The bible says this;

Matthew 8:24 Without warning, a furious storm came up on the lake, so that the waves swept over the boat. But Jesus was sleeping. 25The disciples went and woke him, saying, "Lord, save us! We're going to drown!"
26He replied, "You of little faith, why are you so afraid?" Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

This passage makes me think “wow, he has authority above those things which we cannot control”, and you might think, well duh, isn’t that the fundamental part of being a Christian, trusting that God controls all things, and you’re right, but when do we actually believe it?

We are all given situations when we feel like we are being buffeted around by the wind and waves of the world, whether that be with temptations, things that are said to us or just feeling lost. Its easy for us to panic and start thinking about giving up. Take a look at the disciples, the men that were actually there with Christ on the boat, and they actually woke Jesus who knew he was in full control of all things that he was sleeping and the disciples with panicked voices asked for Him to save them.

Jesus’ response is something that I remember in time of problems and when I feel like I’m going to drown, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” this statement comes to mind every time I’m feeling like that, almost like Jesus speaking to me, asking why I’m running around like a headless chicken when I’m despairing about things.

Why then do we fear when we are in the middle of a raging storm in our lives, why do we shout and panic that all is lost and we’re going to drown. We should remember Jesus’ words here and just trust that storms are temporary and can be calmed in an instant through God and we can become completely calm with situations.

God knows our every trouble and our every problem, and he watches over us when we feel we are in trouble and we should trust that God that he will help us. Cast your cares upon and everything seems brighter and lighter.

I pray today that if you are experiencing any spiritual storms that God will grant you peace and a sense of his hand upon you calming the waves and the wind and making the day bright again.

In Christ alone.

Mikey.

No comments: