Monday 11 June 2007

Luke 4 - Covert Tempation


I was going to do blog on satan’s power and I will touch on that but I’ve had a few things that have affected me over the weekend. In short, I had a dream on Friday night where people were questioning me and shouting things like “who are you to teach people when you do not follow his rules yourself” and “you’re pathetic, you’re not worthy of anything” and being physically attacked by these people. Its difficult to assertain where this dream came from, I first thought it was from God telling me to get my act together and break the chains that bind me to my non Christian life, but the more I thought about it and the more I talked it through, I realised that I have been attacked once again by satan.

What with my plans and what I’m hoping to do, there is no surprise that I am very vulnerable to attack at the moment. I’m looking to give my life in service to God and the best way to attack that is to say that I’m not worth it and that I’m pathetic, like I should stop trying because I’m going to fail. Its so tempting to give up and not follow what I believe is God’s calling as there is so much sacrifice and so much life change and satan knows that, he pounces on that. Jesus however was also tempted by satan in Luke 4. Here is an excerpt:

Luke 4:5 The devil led him up to a high place and showed him in an instant all the kingdoms of the world. 6And he said to him, "I will give you all their authority and splendor, for it has been given to me, and I can give it to anyone I want to. 7So if you worship me, it will all be yours." 8Jesus answered, "It is written: 'Worship the Lord your God and serve him only.'[b]"

Do you see Jesus’ response to this particular temptation? He was shown that he can have it all, he can have authority over all things. In respect to our own lives, how many times have we shone away from doing God’s will because there is something better in it to do something else. In my case, I could very easily continue as I am at the moment, I would probably be very successful and have quite a lot of money, nice house, nice car etc, but for what price? Jesus calls us to leave everything we have to follow him.

I have been tempted to do the easy thing in this situation, but its only made me stronger and more determined to do what God’s will is for me in my life. If that means leaving my Job and money etc (which is becoming clear and plain to see) then I am willing to do that.

When we are tempted, when we are being attacked we sometimes do not spot it for what it is, we need to be vigilant against the attacks of satan as he is cunning and he is very clever. It speaks in Revelation of the beast having, knowledge, authority and an overwhelming intention for all of us to fail and to share his fate, however what he does know and is enraged about is Jesus comes with the free gift of Forgiveness, love and compassion. If we trust in that, we can never fail.

Sorry about today’s blog, it seems a little rambly but I had some points I wanted to make and its difficult to get all the in-depth thoughts down in one lunchtime, but know this:

Hebrews 15: 5b… God has said,
"Never will I leave you;
never will I forsake you."[a] 6So we say with confidence,
"The Lord is my helper; I will not be afraid.
What can man do to me?"

What more can I say?

In Christ.

Mikey.

No comments: